Sharing the Story
Christmas 2006, like most Christmases, brought opportunity for me to reconnect with family and friends. But this Christmas was different for me; I now had the ChristmasFuture story to share.
As I would begin to explain about the fact that North American’s spend $1 Trillion every Christmas season, the response was always the same. Disgust. Shock. Followed by a slightly embarrassed acknowledgement that they knew it to be true and that there is something inherently wrong with some of the choices our society has been making.
Then I would explain about ChristmasFuture’s mission and our strategies to help change the world for good. Some were really excited; about the development work, having a meaningful way of giving to their loved ones next Christmas, or the idea of the school program finding it’s way into their children’s school. Others were more skeptical and spoke of the distrust they have for NGOs and their reluctance to give any more of their hard earned money. Whatever their original position, conversations were had, questions were asked, ideas were challenged and we all learned from one another, about one another, and began a dialogue the world needs us all to have.
I know it shouldn’t surprise me, but I was amazed – I am amazed, at how the ChristmasFuture story invites critical dialogue, ignites passion within and provides a home for others to place their hope. I still have one uncle to work on, but almost everyone I have shared the story with (and I like to talk!) has been willing to allow themselves to hope - for something different, something more – to envision a world that can change…for good.
As I move forward in my daily tasks and managing some of the details of making the ChristmasFuture opportunity available to North Americans this upcoming Christmas, I hold this hope in my heart. It drives me, inspires me, fuels my passion and propels me forward.
So thank you! Thank you to everyone who has allowed me to share this story and allowed hope to grow in your heart, and as a result…in mine.
...Kim

1 Comments:
kim,
you continue to inspire me. i felt the same this christmas. i love this work, and i'm so proud of you. blaine and i will be supporters for the long term!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home